Don’t stop now! Keep the momentum going with this opportunity to work on your art in a relaxed, supportive and fun studio environment. Continue developing what you started in previous classes or begin something new. Jackie will provide inspiration by showing slides, videos and books of contemporary and historical art practices and will coach individually while you work in the medium of your choice ( drawing, painting, collage, fiber arts, 3D...). There will be time for group discussions on each student’s progress throughout the 6 weeks. Take advantage of learning from others, engaging in art conversation, getting feedback on your art, meeting new people and gathering with friends to create.
The art studio at Cotuit has a long history of bringing like minded people together that have fostered lasting friendships and community connection. Come join us!
The studio has drawing paper, newsprint, art boards, easels, some brushes and basic drawing materials for use. All other materials must be supplied by students. Below are some suggestions for materials you may find useful:
- Paint brushes of varying sizes for ink and acrylic
- Scissors, x-acto knife, erasers, roll of blue painters tape, scotch tape, glue stick
- Acrylic medium, Modge Podge glue (matt finish) OR any brand of glue for collage that you prefer.
- Drawing supplies: charcoal, pencils, erasers, pastels, oil cray pas… bring what you have and would like to play with. There’s drawing stuff in the studio to use as well.
- A collection of collage materials from home: scraps of papers, newspaper, mesh, old letters, maps, drawings (things you donʼt mind collaging into artwork). Itʼs better if itʼs more personal to you and not bought from a store so just look around the house and bring whatever you have that could be good for collage. Also look for things with texture.
- Spray bottle for water
- Acrylic paint- a variety of colors that appeal to you
- Paper towel, water jar
- Surfaces: you can work on paper or art boards.
- Paper: 18x24” Bristol or Mixed Media heavy weight paper - 90lbs or heavier. The heavier the weight of the paper, the less buckling and curling you will have when working mixed media.
- Art Board: This is a hard smooth gessoed masonite surface that can be found in art stores, online or we have them at the studio for sale ($3 for an 11x14”). You can buy them in bulk at https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-edu-painting-panel-class-packs/ OR make them yourself- Go to Home Depot and buy masonite sheet (smooth) and cut to sizes you wish to work on. Surfaces must then be gessoed.
Canadian-born, Cape Cod-based artist Jackie Reeves uses mixed media to bring together figurative and abstract elements in her art. She was raised in Montreal by architect parents and studied design art at Concordia University. Her artistic career began as a professional mural painter for corporate, private and public spaces. Concurrently, Reeves co-founded the Plymouth Community Art Center. In 2010 she earned her MFA in painting at Massachusetts College of Art and Design and has since exhibited in solo and group shows throughout Cape Cod, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Washington D.C., and North Carolina. She has been profiled in numerous publications including The Boston Globe, Art New England, and Artscope Magazine. She is the 2016 recipient of the Arts Foundation of Cape Cod's Fellowship award for Visual Arts and was selected by them to paint the 32nd annual Boston Pops by the Sea commemorative painting in 2017.
A resident of the United States since 1995, Reeves currently lives in Sandwich, Massachusetts.
On Center Gallery, Provincetown, MA.
Our classes and workshops are open to students of all abilities and needs. We are currently unable to provide one-on-one instruction, though we will make every attempt to address accommodations for full and successful engagement whenever possible.
If a student requires individual supports, parent/guardian/PCA/teacher/ABA Therapists/etc are welcome to attend.
Please contact Christine Ernst, Director of Education, for more information at email@example.com