Open Studio is your opportunity to practice your art outside of a classroom setting!
All students 18 years of age or older are entitled to use the studio facilities free of charge during the periods in which they are actively enrolled in a class or workshop, and there is an Open Studio session available. Participants will have access to studio space, shelf storage, tools and equipment. Additional clay can be purchased from the studio and the price includes glazing and firing.
For those not involved in classes, Open Studio passes are available for sale and users can also sign up for our Mud Buddy Monthly Program (see below). Both of these options give users access to the facilities during designated Open Studio times. Open Studio times are displayed in the calendar link below:
Each Open Studio session is at least three hours long to give you the time to be creative.
We encourage all studio users to take a class at the center initially so that they learn the studio’s practices. However, experienced artists may purchase Open Studio passes without taking a class but first need to contact Neil Grant (firstname.lastname@example.org) and attend a ‘Welcome To Open Studio’ session.
Books of Passes
Only pay for what you use! Open Studio passes can be purchased individually and as books of 5 and 10 passes. Each pass is valid for one year and allows you to use the studio during one Open Studio session:
|Number of passes||1 to 4||5||10|
|Total Cost||$20 to $80||$90||$150|
|Effective cost per Open Studio session||$20||$18||$15|
How to Purchase
Click one of the links below to purchase and simply show your receipt the next time you visit the studio.
Mud Buddy Monthly Program
For a monthly payment of $99, you can use the Studio whenever there’s an Open Studio session. The Mud Buddy Monthly program is great for students and experienced artists who want regular access to the studio (get those 10,000 hours of practice in!). Your monthly payment can be cancelled at any time.
What you can expect from us during Open Studio:
- A clean workspace with working equipment
- Clay available for purchase (includes glazes and firing) at $35 per 25lb
- A staff member or clay volunteer on site to help and advise you
- To fire greenware and items for glazing in a timely manner
What we expect from you during Open Studio:
- To work in a safe and harmonious manner in accordance with our Health & Safety policy. If you don’t know how to use a piece of equipment, please ask a staff member first
- To only use the clay sold in our studio unless otherwise agreed with Neil Grant. When using community kilns, unknown clays can easily ruin everyone’s work!
- To clean up your workspace after you have finished
- Because this is a community studio, we ask users to confine large scale commercial ‘production’ activities to their personal studios unless agreed in advance with Neil Grant
- To have fun and be creative!
Please note that Open Studio passes do not cover the Long Pose Open Studio sessions, which are a separate activity working with a model. Prices for specialist materials such as silicone rubber, resins and epoxies will charged based upon actual usage.