For Immediate Release:
Contact: David Kuehn, Executive Director
Cotuit Center for the Arts
Phone: (508) 428-0669
2024 Open Juried Exhibitions at Cotuit Center for the Arts
Cotuit Center for the Arts announces five open juried exhibitions planned for their 2024 gallery season. Artists are encouraged to submit works in a variety of media inspired by the themes of each exhibition. Themes include “ANIMALIA”, “ABOVE AND BELOW”, “INDIGO”, “I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE” and “SHIMMER”.
“Winter Art” will run January 6 through February 10. For Winter Art 2024 the theme is ANIMALIA. Keeping younger arts patrons in mind, artwork for the show will be displayed at a height of 4 feet throughout the exhibit - right at children’s eye level.
The opening reception and artist talk will be held from 3-5pm on Saturday, Jan. 6. The drop-off date of gallery-ready pieces is Tuesday, January 2 between 10 AM and 4 PM.
“Above and Below” will run May 5 through June 9. The opening reception and artist talk will be held from 3-5pm on Sunday, May 5. The drop-off date of gallery-ready pieces is Monday, April 29 between 10 AM and 4 PM. This exhibit will be paired with a solo exhibition of works by Rebecca Skinner.
“Indigo” will run August 10 through September 8. The opening reception and artist talk will be held from 3-5pm on Saturday, August 10. The drop-off date of gallery-ready pieces is Monday, August 5. between 10 AM and 4 PM. This exhibit will be paired with a solo exhibition of works by Mellissa Morris.
“I Feel the Earth Move” will run September 14 - October 12. The opening reception and artist talk will be held from 3-5pm on Saturday, October 19. The drop-off date of gallery-ready pieces is Monday, September 9 between 10 AM and 4 PM. This exhibit will be paired with a curated international pottery invitational exhibition.
“Shimmer” will run October 19 - November 16. The opening reception and artist talk will be held from 3-5pm on Saturday, August 10. The drop-off date of gallery-ready pieces is Monday, October 14 between 10 AM and 4 PM. This exhibit will be paired with a solo exhibition of works by Carl Lopes.
FOR ALL OPEN JURIED EXHIBITIONS:
- Up to THREE works per artist may be submitted
- No size limitation, 2D and 3D work accepted
- $10 per piece for CCftA members / $15 per piece for non-members.
- Creativity and Originality - Work that breaks from the ordinary, blurs the boundaries between genres, and challenges notions of how a particular concept or emotion can be expressed.
- Craftsmanship and Technical Skill - Work that uses technique to advance an original perspective or a personal vision or voice, and shows skills being utilized to create something unique, powerful, and innovative.
- Emergence of a Personal Vision or Voice - Work with an authentic and unique point of view and style.
- Interpretation and Clarity of Theme (when applicable) - How well does the artist represent it? Will the theme be understood by viewers?
- Presentation and Overall Impression - The style of presentation should be in accordance with the style of the art piece and the theme of the competition. What is the effect of the artwork in general and as a whole? Overall, does the artwork stand on its own as a complete and outstanding work of art?
Cotuit Center for the Arts reserves the right not to select and/or display anything it views as unsuitable.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTED WORK:
1. All work must arrive gallery ready.
2. All artwork must be either priced for sale or marked ‘NFS’ (Not For Sale)
3. Work cannot be withdrawn before the end of the exhibit
DELIVERY OF SUBMISSIONS: Work should be hand delivered to Cotuit Center for the Arts, 4404 Falmouth Rd, Cotuit, MA and unpacked by artist or artist’s agent on the advertised drop-off day. Any other arrangements must be made in advance with the Exhibitions Specialist, Michelle Law (Michelle@cotuitcenterforthearts.org)
SALES, COMMISSIONS AND DELIVERY: CCftA will retain a 40% commission on all exhibition sales. The price represented on the artist entry form will be the sale price. No changes will be allowed. Sold works will remain until the end of the exhibition.
RETRIEVAL: All unsold artwork must be removed on the Monday after the close of the exhibit between 10am and 4pm, or by special arrangement with Michelle Law. Any work not removed during this specified time may be subject to a storage fee.
USE OF IMAGES: Any image submitted may be used for marketing and promotional purposes directly related to this show. This use may include publication in any publications, printed materials, advertisements, or electronic media. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist.
CONTACT/QUESTIONS: Please direct all questions to Michelle Law, Exhibitions Specialist (Michelle@cotuitcenterforthearts.org)
For more information about our open juried exhibitions, please visit our website: www.artsonthecape.org
Gallery hours vary throughout the year. Please check the website for hours of operation. Exhibits may also be viewed during evening performances. Admission to the gallery exhibits, opening reception, and artist talks are free; no advance registration is required.
# # #